August 2, 2008

Picking on Myself...

Why do we pick on ourselves so much ? It's a simple question, with many answers.
Some say it's the media that makes us feel un-easy about the way we look, act, and feel.
While there are whole groups of phychologist's, with piles of research, pointing towards bad parenting.
But, even with all of these answers, the in-ability to accept ourselves for who we are mentally, physically, and emotionally is a tough concept to grasp for the majority of us. It's that fine line between a big, nasty, overbearing ego and an overly sensitive, put yourself down every chance you get, I hate the way I am way of living.
The hard thing is knowing where to draw that line, when jobs, family, friends, and even our own minds are constantly fighting against us to be something that we're not.
Society requires us, on a regular basis, to often be the exact opposite of who we really are. The world revolves around giving people what they want, telling them what they want to hear, and being who they want you to be.
It's a struggle, a struggle between the truth and the reality that comes with truth, and the need and instinct to survive and adapt.
I personally don't have any more answers for the question of why we pick on ourselves so much, or how to fix it.
I would love to know the "cure" for this problem just as much as the next guy, but I struggle with it just as much as the next guy.

3 comments:

  1. Well, I know why I pick on myself.

    A lot of it was how I was raised, low self-esteem issues and a striving for perfection to be better than those who put me down. Also because of bad experiences I've had that have kicked in my self-confidence.

    Sounds almost ass backwards in a sense, but that's why I do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You must have compassion for yourself and others. Be nice to yourself.

    "Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." -His Holiness The Dalai Lama

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where'd ya go Joe? I pray all is well with you and your family...peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete