July 27, 2008

Superstitions Contest


Superstitions, both an integral part of society and a danger to the people around us. They have been around since the beginning of man, and many of those original superstitions still exist in updated form. My fiancee and I buried a mirror this last Friday because she knocked over a large mirror in our home and it shattered on impact. Everyone know the old superstition about breaking mirrors and 7 years of bad luck, if not you can check out an explanation HERE. She immediately hopped online and found a site that stated, plain and simple, she had to bury the mirror to counter-act the bad luck associated with it breaking.

I myself am a fairly religious person, and have a very strict superstition about wearing any kind of hat in a church. I figure that if I have to take off my hat for the American flag, I can at least do the same when in a place of God.

I got in trouble with my fiancee because I called her silly when she said we had to bury the mirror, and after looking at my own superstitions, I understood her frustration with me.

I ended up with shovel in hand, in the backyard, helping her dig the hole.

This got me to thinking about people and superstitions, so that's what I want to explore with you readers. What kind of superstitions do you believe in ? Do you swerve out of the path of a black cat ? Do you pray for your life when you walk underneath a ladder ? I want to hear your superstitions. Come on people, lets get some good ones going here. We'll even make it a contest, a contest for the best submitted superstition. I'll work on the prize and you work on typing up your oddest superstition. E-mail them to me at jnsmith83@gmail.com, and you may find yourself with a Joseph's World prize.
The Contest will run from July 27, 2008 to August 3, 2008...

5 comments:

  1. If believing in destined fate and palm reading are superstitious then count me as one. But breaking mirrors and such, not so.

    Anyways, I found your site from BlogCatalog. Curious if you are interested in link exchange. If you are, just drop me a line at reflections.white-arctic.net

    Thank you for any interest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one that comes to mind is salt over the left shoulder for good luck after spilling it on the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, I don't think I have any superstitions. However I do have obsessive-compulsive disorder, so I guess that could be something like a superstition. I mean, if I don't do things certain ways, I get panicky and feel my day is ruined or won't go right unless this or that is done a certain way. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would've buried the mirror too. I love your blog. I am new to the blogging scene. However I look forward to reading more posts like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. JoJo, there's the ones where dropping a fork means a woman will visit, a knife dropped meaning a man. Go under a bridge and you have to kiss your fingers and touch the ceiling of your car. when you're walking with someone and you have to go around a pole or something in that matter, you're supposed to say " bread and butter". is it superstition when you promise someone, but you cross your fingers?
    Love, Moo

    ReplyDelete