July 14, 2008

Brooms and Dustpans for all...




I had a special request from one of my readers to do a post on men and their view on house work. Does flushing the toilet count ? Just kidding, I'm a firm believer in men doing their share of the house work. My fiancee and I weren't even dating yet and I was already helping with the laundry and doing the dishes.

Once we became a couple the only thing that changed was that we started officially living together. And, I believe that entitled me to do more around the house.

I actually enjoy doing the dishes and mowing the yard, they can actually be very relaxing activities. I'm not big on laundry, but I don't know any man or woman who is, and I'm not about to watch my fiancee work her ass off while I sit on mine.

My mother raised me to be kind, respectful, and to get up off my butt and be a part of the house hold by doing my share of the chores. No allowance for house chores, as a member of the house hold, it was just as much my duty as every one else in the house.

Now, don't get me wrong, I've had plenty of days where I've slacked on getting things done around the house. But, I'm not the type to make a habit out of it, and usually it's one of those days when my fiancee and I both just "veg out", and try to relax(well, as much as you can relax with 4 children).

But, I don't see how any man can watch his mother, wife, girlfriend, etc, doing all the work around the house while he pulls the "it's a woman's job" card. You would think by now that this card would have been thrown in the garbage with all the other bullsh*t "Boy's will be boy's" philosophy. Strangely enough though it hasn't, many men still believe a woman's place is in the kitchen, doing laundry, giving the kids their baths, etc, and won't lift a finger to help.

I'm not saying all men are like this, there are plenty who do their part in the battle against an unclean home. Obviously, I know I'm not the only one who helps out, there are plenty of "good" men still out there.

The whole point of all of this is simple, it's just as much a man's job to do the chores as it is a woman's. There should be no dividing line between male and female on this subject, to live in a happy and healthy home everyone has to do their part.

To all the "I'm a man, I worked all day, I don't have to do anything but wait for my dinner" kind of guys, you're not only an a-hole, you're also lazy, stupid, and don't deserve any woman.

And, to all you men out their who do the dishes, the laundry(that includes folding it), make dinner, mop the floor and give your kids their baths, I raise my glass to you(my glass of iced tea), give you a great big thumbs up, and say "Thank you for everything that you do, your significant other appreciates it more than you know".
Here are some fun links that are about men doing chores and helping with the kids:

4 comments:

  1. I must say, great post! And, I have to agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stereotype of "a woman's job" only exists in a dying breed. Kids today have a different perception of gender roles. There is little question about gender neutrality in my generation, although I can only speak for myself and what I've witnessed in others. I think in the near future, one adult doing less chores than the other will only be attributed to laziness, not gender.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That "it's a woman's job" card used to work back when men went to work and women stayed at home. That's all changed, and it's something my wife had to reminder her lazy husband of daily until I decided I'd better help out around the house.

    By the way, a great solution for the current "both spouses work" situation is to hire a housecleaning service -- $85 a week for a clean home isn't a bad deal.

    Heh. My very laziness caused me to push for that, in fact. Still, we do share the chores we do have -- everything from getting the kids to school to washing the dog.

    Great bit of commentary, by the way...

    ReplyDelete