March 19, 2008

My new comic strip "Whatever?" and other Artists




I've been drawing funny little cartoons since I was probably about 6 or 7, at least. So I finally decided to do something with it and start putting them up.
I hope you like them, my wife would tell you I have a sense of humor that makes me laugh, not always others. But I think it's about time to do something with my artwork.
I've been an artist most of my life, I do everything from portraits and architecture to cartoons and comics. So I decided that would be my Joe's Thought for today, artists.
There are millions of us, new ones born everyday. But what is it that sets one artist aside from all the others. You could say it's technique, ability, sense of reality, practice, who they know and the list, once again, could go on forever. I tend to think it's not as simple as just one of these things, I think it's a combination of a few.
Sure it helps if you know someone but if your just not meant to be an artist and don't have the skill your not going to make it. Than again I've seen artwork that I'm sure only the artist themselves understood and they were an overnight success. Heck sometimes you have to die before you become well known in the artistic world, I'm not even going to attempt that list.
My philosophy in life follows along the lines of Fate; I believe whatever your meant to become is going to happen if it's meant to happen. Sure there are things you can do to improve your chances but, like it or not, you might not make it. Or, you could become the next big thing.
Nobody knows until it happens. I know that it can be scary thing to send your stuff out, life's scary sometimes, yet I want you to send in your stuff. Photographs, sketch's, drawings, paintings... Scan it, take a picture of it, I don't care how you send it. I want to see some of your stuff.
You see my thoughts everyday, let me see how your mind works. I won't post anyones pictures without there consent and I'm not selling anything here. I guess you could say I'm just curious. Plus, I believe for those of you who decide to share, that we can learn from each other.
How about that, you send me yours, I'll send you some of mine. Let's share, learn, grow and appreciate each others artistic side.
There's your challenge Dear Readers. Come on show me your talent, I dare you.


1 comment:

  1. Joe-I really enjoyed your comic strip and I'm anxious to see more of your artistic side. I myself, am not an artist, but I really enjoy looking at others. Have you sent any of your comics or other artistic paraphenalia to any publishers, newspapers, etc.? You should send this one. It sure fits what's going on.

    ReplyDelete