March 25, 2009

Strange Yourself


ir·ra·tion·al (-rsh-nl)
adj.
1.
a. Not endowed with reason.
b. Affected by loss of usual or normal mental clarity; incoherent, as from shock.
c. Marked by a lack of accord with reason or sound judgment: an irrational dislike.
2.
a. Being a syllable in Greek and Latin prosody whose length does not fit the metric pattern.
b. Being a metric foot containing such a syllable.
3. Mathematics Of or relating to an irrational number.


The world, especially us in the U.S., is full of people with irrational fears.
My main ones are germs, speaking in public(except for in a job environment), and getting sick.
And I know that most of the time they are in fact irrational. It's not like I don't realize I'm overly worried sometimes about things to a much more extreme degree than "normal" people.
The thing that frustrates me the most is, one, my inability to just make those "voices" in my head shut up and, two, that I haven't always been as irrational as I am now. I was a just as "normal" as everyone else when I was younger and didn't worry so much about things that I shouldn't.
And it's quite amazing how much of what we make ourselves believe is true can become "real" if we obsess about it enough.
Here's an exercise for you all; Look at yourself in the mirror when you're depressed and feeling like crap about yourself and the world, than look at yourself in that same mirror when you feel like everything is going well and the world is grand. If done correctly you'll see two seriously different versions of yourself in the mirror.
Now I want to hear your irrational fears. I want to hear what the voices in your head are lying to you about, get a peak at your brain matter. So, send them in, I'm curious.
Oh and by the way, spiders freak me out too !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment