April 6, 2008

The Passing of a Legend


Charlton Heston passed away Saturday, January 5th, 2008. A well known giant of an actor, Heston is well known for leading roles in Ben-Hur(for which he won a 1959 Best Actor Oscar) , Moses, and Planet of the Apes.
Family spokesman Bill Powers declined to comment on the cause of death, but Heston revealed in 2002 that he was suffering symptoms consistent with Alzheimer's disease.
Heston has been around since the movie epics of the 50's and 60's and will be sorely missed, he was an icon, an inspiration for many actors and actresses. I remember him most from the Planet of the Apes, his well known line "Those damn dirty apes".
It was reported that he died with his wife of 64 years by his side. Though a sad occurrence, Heston lived a very fulfilling life. Heston is best remembered by those who knew him as a wonderful man.
I would like us all to take a moment to think of Heston, his wife and his two children. This is a heavy weight on their hearts, our mourning cannot compare to theirs.
Though his work with the NRA, Republican Party, and other forms of activism loomed so high they cast a shadow on his acting work, let us not forget, he was as actor that represented a generation now passing into the horizon.
Heston will surely be missed.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I saw your mention of your thoughts-blog and art-blog on Craigslist. I have a blog too on yahoo 360, if you want to check it out: http://360.yahoo.com/gideonjamesabbott

    As for Charleton Heston; I'm not sure how much celebrity passing affects me. I mean I remember the whole 'dirty apes' thing, and more recently the "soylent green is people" thing. Also the Omega Man movie (remade recently as "I Am Legend"). I usually think much more highly of the people behind the scenes, when it comes to movies like the directors and writers.

    ReplyDelete