April 2, 2008

Before you walk out that Door...

It seems to me like to leave your house today, you have to constantly look over your shoulder and check, re-check and check again to make sure your doors are locked, windows are closed, nobody is behind that bush, etc. It's gotten to the point where you should probably go out, buy a bullet proof vest, get a weapons permit, and stand watch outside your home.
I've been robbed at gunpoint myself(another story, another time), and it looks as if, as time goes on, these things could very well become necessary. I don't mean to inspire fear in people, thats not my point, I just mean to open up the conversation about the world today and it's violence. I know that the world has always been a relatively violent place, human beings being the main culprits, but you think over time, with all our advances, it would slow down a bit.
And, that's not the scariest part of it all. My wife and I were talking the other day about how you cant' even count on your fellow citizens anymore for help. You could be attacked right outside someone's home, but are they going to let you in when you bang on their door for help, probably not. They might call the police, but beyond that, your on your own.
I know that people just don't want to "get involved" and they want to stay away from danger. I can understand if you have children, they come first. And, I know that the level of trust among people has become almost zero. That guy banging on your door for help could very well be trying to trick you into opening your door.
But we need to start watching out for each other. The police and firefighters have a million people to save and can't always get there in time. We're going to have to learn to trust each other. When you hear a gunshot outside your home, I don't expect you to strap on your cape and head out. But if you see someone attacking someone else in the parking lot of your local grocery store, don't just stand there and stare or get into your car and ignore it. Say something, get a security officer, call for help, heck scream at the top of your lungs.
I know you don't want to get involved, you want to mind your own business. The only problem with that is very simple, if we keep ignoring it, it's only going to get worse.
Stay safe, don't grab your gun and go hunting for it, don't try and be a vigilante, or bum rush that guy with the gun. Just take small steps to help your community and the people around you. If everyone started taking these small steps it would change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment