April 22, 2008

Ahhh... Isn't he cute?

Why do we dress up our pets like people? It may sound like a very basic and weird question, but I think it's a legitimate one. What is the human obsession with making every other animal just like us? There are people who dress their pets up for Halloween, Christmas, heck I'm sure there have been a few Hanukkah poodles. So, why do we do it? I personally think that, for alot of people, it's kind of like having a child or doll. It is a subconscious way to have children without having an actual child, or for those who have children, a way of making your pet wear the outfits you can't get your kids to wear. I think it's a half fetish, half power thing. But, my wife and I have dressed up our dogs, so I'm guilty as charged too. I've done it more for the funny effect, unlike the people who take it very seriously, because I'm an a-hole who likes to make fun of my own animals. So, is it normal that we do this to our pets? I say, absolutely not, but it is funny to see the pets that people do it too. Plus, the pets usually don't care. Just watch yourself, if you do it, because if(now I'm going to go all Dr.Phil) there may be underlining issues you need to face in yourself.

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha ha, so true. I would never do that to any of my pets, however. It almost seems cruel. But I do chuckle and laugh when I see other peoples' pets dressed up. And my first thought is, why the heck would they do that? Second thought always drifts to the issues they may be dealing with. Good post!

    ReplyDelete